SMC to show silent film for Halloween

Saint Mary's College is getting their frights the old-fashioned way this Halloween: The College is showing a classic silent horror film complemented by a live score.

"Nosferatu," a silent Dracula-esque movie will be shown at the College today at 7:30 p.m. in the Vander Venet Theatre in the Student Center, accompanied by a live performance by the band bLuE daHLia, according to Chris Sallak, patron services and marketing manager at Saint Mary's College.

"Nosferatu is the earliest surviving film version of Bram Stoker's 'Dracula.' Hailed as a 'masterpiece in terror,' this unauthorized film directed by German filmmaker Frederick Murnau, captures one of the most chilling portrayals of the Stoker legends to date," Sallak said.

bLuE daHLia will engage the audience by adding a layer of emotion to the screening, Sallak said.

"Using a broad range of instrumentation and style, bLuE daHLia has developed an extensive repertoire of silent film scores for live performance," Sallak said. "Varying in emotional tenor from slapstick romantic comedies to drama and horror, these intricately orchestrated works are forging connections with great films, music and generations of audiences everywhere."

According to Sallak, the band began to perform in collaboration with silent films and other visual arts when they received commission form the Sound of Silent Film Festival in 1999. Since that time the band has continued to perform throughout Michigan, their home state.

Sallak said "Nosferatu" and bLuE daHLia are the "combination of a great classic film with a hybrid mix of world fusion and adult alternative music."

The event is co-sponsored by the Saint Mary's Student Activities Board and the Office of Special Events.

"This event is something different then we have done on campus before and is a great way to kick off the fall [and] Halloween season. There will also be plenty of fall themed refreshments," Sallak said.

Tickets can be purchased by visiting the Moreau Center Box Office, calling 574-284-4626 or online at MoreauCenter.com. Tickets will also be on sale in the Student Center Atrium during lunch today. Tickets cost $12 for adults, $10 for senior citizens, $8 Notre Dame, Saint Mary's and Holy Cross faculty and staff and $5 Notre Dame and Holy Cross students. Tickets for Saint Mary's College students are free.