-

-

SMC Volleyball: Belles battle Bethel on Senior Night

Chris Michalski and Bobby Graham | Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Saint Mary’s seniors Lorna Slupczysnki, Liana Rohr and Kathleen Mills will conclude their home careers tonight as the Belles play Albion on Senior Night.

Slupczynski has been quite the special player for the Belles over her four years. Her senior year has proven to be an display of leadership and talent. Despite the fact that the team has had its ups and downs, she has constantly lead the teams in kills and has also served as a coach on the court to the team’s numerous underclassmen.

She will lead the Belles in their hope for revenge on Albion. The Britons beat Saint Mary’s 3-1 earlier in the season.

The Belles need to top Albion, as well as win their next two games, in order to finish the conference season at .500. Currently they stand at 5-8 in the MIAA and 10-12 overall.

The team is currently riding a three-game losing streak, and in order to overcome it, coach Toni Kuschel said they will need to continue working together.

“[We need] to trust and believe in each other,” Kuschel said.

Following the Albion match, the Belles will go on the road for their last two MIAA matches of the season. The first, on Friday, is against Kalamazoo College. The Belles downed the Hornets 3-1 on the shoulders of Slupczysnki’s 17 kills earlier this season at home. The MIAA concluder is against Calvin College, who swept the Belles on Oct. 6 on the Dig For the Cure Match.

Senior Night festivities will begin at 7 p.m. in the Angela Athletic Complex.