SMC Volleyball: Belles swept twice by non-conference teams

After a canceled tournament this weekend, the Belles dropped two non-conference games Saturday at Anderson University in Anderson, Ind.

The Belles (7-8, 3-4 MIAA) lost their first game 3-0 to Transylvania before losing 3-0 again to host Anderson.

Despite the fact that these games bear no significance in the Belles' MIAA standing, they would have provided the team with a boost of momentum as they head into a week with three tough conference matches, including games against foes Adrian and Trine.

This weekend's leaders for the Belles included Lorna Slupczynski, who notched 19 kills, 13 digs and 2 blocks in the two matches, and Andrea Sasgen who contributed 10 kills, 2 blocks and 2 aces.

Despite the rough weekend outing, the Belles will look to regain some momentum this Tuesday as they host the annual Dig for the Cure match.

"We will be trying to raise money for the Susan G. Komen breast cancer research foundation," Belles' coach Toni Kuschel said. "We will be selling t-shirts and deserts and taking pledges for our average amount of digs before and during our game next Tuesday."

The event will be hosted during the Belles' match with MIAA rival Calvin.

Kuschel emphasized the importance of the cause and said she hopes as many people as possible will show up to support the fight against breast cancer.

"It should be a fantastic event and we are hoping to have a lot of support," she said.