University of ugly girls?

I really want to know who specifically is calling Notre Dame girls ugly. I am getting pretty sick of opening up The Observer week after week only to be inundated by comics making fun of our collective appearance. 

On top of these insightful and numerous comments in our paper, I am also privy to many male conversations courtesy of my boyfriend's friends. They talk freely, in my presence, about how one stopped talking to a girl right around the time she got chunky, or even how I'm good looking for a Notre Dame girl but at a normal school I'd be nothing special. One of my favorite critiques is that Notre Dame girls are pale. We are in South Bend. There is no sunlight here. The guys are pale too. Going to tanning salons at the expense of our wallets, and more importantly our health, just isn't, and shouldn't have to be, a priority. However, the best I've ever heard is that we don't know how to dress. This last one needs to be taken with a grain of salt, however, since its speaker is a film major. He might be more into women's fashion than most other guys. 

My question to my fellow females on campus is, what about Notre Dame guys? Let's all be honest here, the vast majority are nothing special in the looks department. They're really not in any kind of position to be making fun of us. 

I assure you all, I'm no feminist; I'm just a girl who doesn't want to be called fat and ugly every other day. This is my challenge to Notre Dame guys: stop focusing on real or imagined physical faults, and pay attention to the kind of things that make Notre Dame girls awesome! 

Besides, we're not ugly, and you're not God's gift to women.

Meghan Dougher
sophomore 
Breen-Phillips Hall
Oct. 27