Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Weekend Events Calendar

Thursday: "It Might Get Loud" @ Browning Cinema, 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.

This revolutionary documentary details the progression of the electric guitar as a fixture of rock music through the personal accounts of three rock legends: The Edge, Jimmy Page and Jack White. The film revolves around a meeting between the three great guitarists in which they share their life stories, techniques and sources of inspiration. The film is especially interesting in that it looks at each performer in terms of the way he rebelled against the established styles of his time, invented new sounds and made an influence on the world of music. Tickets are $6 for the general public, $5 for faculty and staff, $4 for seniors and $3 for students.

Friday: Glee Club Concert @ DeBartolo Performing Arts Center, 8 p.m.

The Glee Club presents its annual fall concert this Friday night at the Leighton Concert Hall in the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center. It promises to be an excellent show as always, including selections of both religious and secular choral music. Continuing a tradition that spans nearly 100 years, the Glee Club will also perform all the traditional school songs. Though the group works from a somewhat standard program, there are sure to be new additions to the performance. Tickets are $8 for the general public, $6 for faculty and staff, $5 for seniors and $3 for students. They can be purchased through the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center Box Office and are hot-sellers.

Saturday: Saturday Scholar Series "Shakespeare in the 21st Century" @ Annenberg Theater, Snite Museum, 12 p.m.

The Saturday Scholar Series has been taking place at Notre Dame for the past three years at noon on game days. The lecture and question/answer sessions are designed to give participants an intimate experience with experts in various academic fields. This Saturday, Peter D. Holland and Scott Jackson will be discussing "Shakespeare in the 21st Century." The two professors intend to discuss the different ways in which Shakespeare is being performed around the world, on the Internet and here at Notre Dame in a modern context. No tickets are required for this event.

Sunday: South Bend Symphony Orchestra "German Romance" @ DeBartolo Performing Arts Center, 3 p.m.

The South Bend Symphony Orchestra presents "German Romance," a program of music from the Romantic era by Wagner, Strauss and Weber. The pieces selected from each composer are slightly less well known, but will still provide the audience with a general idea of what German romantic music is about. Strauss' "Horn Concerto No. 1" will feature principle horn player Aaron Brant as soloist. Tickets are $25 for the general public, $12.50 for faculty and staff, $23 for seniors and $5 for all students. There are still plenty of seats available, so if you are planning on being on campus Sunday afternoon, this is an excellent campus event to consider attending.