-

-

Who we are

Christopher Damian | Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Joseph McMahon has accused Notre Dame Right to Life’s Cemetery of the Innocents of having little value because it is not intellectual (“Crossed out,” Oct. 12). However, he fails to understand the purpose of the demonstration. Our main goal is not just “to convert pro-choicers on campus or … to encourage them to consider a different point of view.” Our goal is not just to prove people wrong. Our goal is not just to provide intellectual stimulation. Our goal is to stand up for Truth.

During the civil rights movement, sit-ins, marches and protests were not staged in the name of intellectual stimulation. They were staged in the name of justice.

We did not set up the cemetery because it is intellectually stimulating. We set it up in the name of justice. We are not Sophists. We are Catholics. It is who we are. We are a voice for the voiceless. We are the voice of hope. We are the voice of truth. We speak out against abortion because of who we are. We are Catholic. We are pro-life. Mary does not stand on the Dome to make an intellectual point. She is there because of who we are. We are Notre Dame. We know what we stand for.

Clearly, the demonstration did provide some intellectual stimulation. If it did not, McMahon would not have had anything to write about.

Christopher Damian

freshman

Dillon Hall

Oct. 12

-

-

Who we are

Letter to the Editor | Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Christopher Damian

freshman

Dillon Hall

Oct. 12