-

-

Women’s Interhall Football: Howard defeats Farley 18-6 in battle of unbeaten teams

Andrew Owens and Megan Finneran | Wednesday, October 28, 2009

In a potential playoff matchup of previously unbeaten teams, Howard (5-0) used a strong aerial attack and a suffocating defense to win 18-6 over Farley (3-1-1).

Junior quarterback Kayla Bishop picked apart the Farley defense and led the Ducks on three scoring drives. Two second-half touchdowns sealed the deal for the Ducks.

“Our receivers started catching the ball after having a lot of first half drops,” Bishop said. “They got their hands on the ball, and that helped.”

The passing game has powered the Howard offense all season. Bishop has consistently found targets in junior Kaitlin Robinson and freshman Laura Coletti. The trio has led the way as the Ducks have averaged more than 20 points per game this season.

Howard was guaranteed to have a high seed in the playoffs after starting the season with four consecutive wins, but they were determined to keep their undefeated season alive. They will try to make it six in a row Sunday when they play Lewis.

The loss marked the first of the season for Farley. Some of their miscues can be attributed to the long layoff since their last game.

The Finest had a bye week and then fall break before facing Howard.

“We haven’t been able to practice a lot lately, so I don’t think it went as well as it should have,” senior captain Caity Shepherd said. “Things will be better after a week of practice.”

The Finest allowed only six points in the first half and entered halftime tied with the Ducks.

However, the offense could not consistently move the ball in the second half and the defense allowed two scores.

Farley will face winless Breen-Phillips Sunday as they attempt to start a new winning streak.

“We’re going to get our offense going and on defense we are going to work hard as well, especially on our zones,” Shepherd said. “We had some breakdowns there tonight. We’re going to work on getting an offensive rhythm.”

Welsh Family 34,
Breen-Phillips 0

Welsh Family (3-3) did all it could to continue its season after a 34-0 rout of Breen-Phillips (0-5) Tuesday night.

Monday night the Whirlwinds determined that if things go their with other games, a final win could clinch a spot in the playoffs. They left little to chance against the Babes, scoring five touchdowns, including an interception freshman Kirsten Groody returned for a touchdown on the final play.

“It was awesome,” Groody said. “Coming in as a freshman, I knew Welsh Family had a history in the playoffs, and this was the first year in a while that we weren’t sure if we would be in them. This was a fun way to end the regular season.”

The last play was one of many big moves for the Whirlwinds, thanks to their freshman quarterback Vicky Moreno and a large number of talented receivers. Moreno proved to be quick on her feet time and time again, whether she was completing a pass or running the ball herself.

An early touchdown by sophomore Grace Johnson got the team going, and from that point forward, there was no stopping them.

Welsh Family showed its ability to communicate and work well together when they gained possession with only 1:25 left in the first half, moved the ball down the field with a series of quick passes and scored when sophomore Charlotte Seasly caught a touchdown pass with only three seconds remaining.

The Whirlwinds did not hesitate to build up a strong lead, scoring a touchdown early in the second half.

The difficulties stopping Welsh Family’s offense sum up Breen-Phillip’s season.

“We’ve had a rough year as we’ve done some rebuilding following the graduations of our quarterback and some of our receivers,” senior captain Stephanie Wuerdeman said. “We’re proud to know that though our record isn’t the highest, we have more fun than most other teams.”

For Welsh Family, they will have to wait for the results this weekend to see who will make the playoffs. Breen Philips will take on Howard Sunday at 3 p.m. at LaBar Field.