Women's Interhall Football: Whirlwinds face Babes in matchup of two-loss teams

Welsh Family vs. Breen-Phillips

Coming off their first win of the season, Welsh Family (1-2) looks to build momentum as they face a struggling Breen-Phillips (0-2) team tonight.

Thanks to an impressive late defensive stand, the Whirlwinds defeated the surging Pyros 7-6 last Sunday, clinching the win despite several questionable officiating calls. Senior captain Stephanie Vossler believes her team has the talent to return to the interhall dominance the hall has experienced in years past.

"You can expect us to carry this momentum all the way through to the stadium," she said. "We've been there before and we plan on returning."

With a strong defensive unit and an offense that is coming together under first-year starting quarterback, senior Demi Hueth, the Whirlwinds are well on their way.

"The offense is definitely working as a unit now," Hueth said. "Our defense has been suffocating and our offense is ready to dominate. We're going to prove that last week is what teams should expect when they face us."

BP, meanwhile, is still looking to click offensively. Freshman quarterback Stefani Santeramo will be looking for her favorite target, sophomore receiver Lauren Kalinoski. But weak offensive-line play thus far could prove detrimental against the Whirlwinds, with returning defensive linemen junior Cari Pick and senior captain Tara Schimpf, who accounted for several crucial sacks in the Whirlwinds victory over PE.

Facing the growing threat of Hueth will present a challenge to the BP defense as well. After allowing 33 points to a then-winless Lewis squad and 22 points to PE in week one, the Babes will have their hands full when trying to contain the mobile quarterback and her versatile receivers.

If it hopes to score its first win of the season, BP must find a way to limit the Whirlwinds' strong offense and penetrate a defense that has been stifling thus far.

BP and Welsh Family square off at 7 p.m. at Riehle Field.

Howard vs. Farley

Two unbeatens will clash when Howard (2-0) and Farley (2-0-1) meet tonight at 8 p.m. at Riehle Field. There may not be much of a rivalry between the two teams, but both realize that this game is the next step on the way to the Stadium.

The Ducks are coming off of a bye, but recently beat defending champions McGlinn handily 33-0.

"We're going to continue to come out and play with a fire that will carry us to the play-offs and beyond," Howard junior captain Kayla Bishop said.

The Ducks are expecting junior receiver Kaitlin Robinson and sophomore safety Caroline Walsh to lead the charge past the Finest.

As the schedule would have it, Farley also played McGlinn in their last game, coming back from a first half deficit to tie the Shamrocks. However, despite the score disparities against a common opponent, Farley is not concerned.

"We are just going to come out and continue playing our game," Farley junior Captain Emma Klosterman said. "We are going to have a lot of fun."

Farley figures to rely on two-way sophomore Katie Smith to lead the charge. Also, offensive standout sophomore Laura Yovienne made plays all over the field in previous games and hopes to continue to do so again. A defense led by senior Chrissy Andrews and Klosterman hopes to put the clamps on the potent Duck offense. 

Regardless of the outcome, the winner of this game will have a great chance at making the playoffs and a deep run towards the stadium.

Pasquerilla East vs. McGlinn

Pasquerilla East (2-1) hopes to avenge its only loss tonight against defending champion McGlinn.

The Pyros will rely on experienced senior quarterback Tara Pillai to get the job done. They will continue to experiment with an offensive squad packed with talented freshmen and sophomores.

"We have a whole bunch of young receivers and running backs who we want to get involved," Pillai said. 

Pasquerilla East failed to convert on many offensive opportunities in their first loss. Pillai hopes to improve in this week's face-off.

"We need to finish in the red zone," she said.

Pillai also emphasized the importance of a strong defensive effort and highlighted the intimidating presence of sophomore Maya Thode.

"The whole secondary needs to have a big game and hopefully force a few turnovers," she said.

The Pyros understand the magnitude of this game and how important a win is for a successful season. 

"The game is huge for us," Pillai said. "We need to see if we can bounce back after a tough loss. There's a big difference between 3-1 and 2-2, especially when the season is so short."

This is also a must win game for McGlinn (0-1-1), as the defending champions hope to turn their season around. Senior captain Emily Dore continues to express confidence in her squad.

"Our team has really been coming together in practices, improving on our offensive and defensive strategies," she said. "We are steadily improving and will make some big strides in the upcoming games."

Sophomore quarterback Lauren Miller will look to distribute the ball to wide receivers junior Kathleen Stanley and sophomore Kate Tucker. This offensive trio hopes to score immediately in order to set the pace for the game. 

The Shamrock defense, lead by sophomore linebacker Jennifer Smith, will have its hands full with the Pyros' dominant offensive squad. 

This season defining game between the Shamrocks and Pyros kicks off Tuesday at 9 p.m. at Riehle Field.