Benches to be placed at Main Circle

Students waiting for rides at Notre Dame's Main Circle will soon have a place to sit, as two new benches will be installed in the next few weeks.

University Architect Doug Marsh said the benches will be installed in the northwest and northeast corners of the circle, weather permitting, within a few weeks.

Student body president Grant Schmidt said he initiated the project because he thought students would benefit from seating in the area.

Schmidt said Main Circle, a popular meeting place on campus, does not currently offer seating. The nearest benches to main circle are set back against the Law School building and Alumni Hall. 

"I think a lot of people always complained about there not being a spot to sit down at Main Circle," he said. "People continually say they want a spot to sit, a place to relax, a convenient spot to wait."

Schmidt wrote an e-mail to Marsh during the summer, inquiring about the possibility of benches at Main Circle.

At the time, Marsh told Schmidt he would look into the project. Schmidt said he recently heard from Marsh that the project would be completed.

The funding for the benches came from a specifically designated bench fund, Marsh said.
"[The two benches] will match the other memorial benches located in nearby areas such as the South Quad and the Law School," he said.

Even though this project seems minor, Schmidt said, it is still important because students frequently comment about the lack of available seating and it was an issue that student government was able to address.

"It's pretty small but it's something tangible," he said. "Sometimes the work that you do people can't actually see it taking shape."

Schmidt said student government usually works on larger projects, but is also able to address smaller issues on campus that can improve student life.

"I just knew that I personally was always frustrated with not having a place to sit," he said. "It was just one of those things that needed to be there.