BREAKING NEWS: Weis will not be retained
Matt Gamber | Monday, November 30, 2009
Irish football coach Charlie Weis will not be retained, Notre Dame director of athletics Jack Swarbrick announced in a University release Monday.
“We have great expectations for our football program, and we have not been able to meet those expectations,” Swarbrick said in the release. “As an alumnus, Charlie understands those goals and expectations better than most, and he’s as disappointed as anyone that we have not achieved the desired results.”
According to the release, Rob Ianello, the Irish assistant head coach, receivers coach and recruiting coordinator, will assume responsibility for football operations until Notre Dame hires its next coach. Ianello is in his fifth year as a Notre Dame assistant and previously coached at Wisconsin, Arizona and Alabama.
The release said Swarbrick recommended Weis’ dismissal to University President Fr. John Jenkins., on Sunday, a day after Notre Dame’s 45-38 loss at Stanford dropped the Irish to 6-6.
“We have established an evaluation process for all of our athletic programs that, in the end, results in a recommendation from Jack to me,” Jenkins said in the release. “I accepted Jack’s decision and look forward to working with him on selecting a new head football coach who is the very best choice possible for the University and especially for our student-athletes.
“I am most appreciative to Coach Weis for his service to Notre Dame and our community. He and his family have my prayers and best wishes.”
Hired as coach on Dec. 12, 2004, to succeed Tyrone Willingham, Weis finished his tenure at Notre Dame with a record of 35-27. After leading the Irish to BCS bowls in both 2005 (9-3, Fiesta Bowl) and 2006 (10-3, Sugar Bowl), Weis posted a record of 16-21 in his final three seasons, including a school-worst 3-9 finish in 2005.
At the time of the release, no press conference had been announced for Monday.