Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Dining Hall Dish

Welsh Family Hall recently opened a homemade baked goods store to rival the male dorm's pizza shops. Although this innovative idea begins to tackle the problem of unappetizing dinning hall desserts, I contend that with a little creativity, anyone can create saccharine sweets in our dining halls. This week's dish presents a few ideas for some decadent desserts. Channel your inner Paula Dean and start cooking!

Strawberry-Banana Crepe
Crepes were first created in Brittany, a region in the northwest of France. This dish attempts to recreate the elegance of this sophisticated dessert in our dining halls. It may seem like a lot of steps, but it's entirely worth the effort. After tasting this one, I encourage you to try out different fillings, particularly the various fruits in the waffle section.

Start with a white or honey wheat wrap. Optional: brush honey butter all over the wrap, for added sweetness.
Spread a bit of cream cheese, strawberry jam, and a light layer of pudding (chocolate or vanilla) on the wrap.
Drizzle half of the wrap with strawberry sauce, located by the ice cream. Attempt to get as many chunks of strawberries as you can!
Grab a banana and cut into slices. Place on the same half as the strawberry sauce.
Fold crepe in half and grill lightly on the panini maker for about 10 seconds — just enough to warm it up a bit, but not so much that it's charred.
Top with a dusting of powdered sugar and a drizzle of chocolate sauce. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.

Puppy Chow
This nostalgic sweet is surprisingly simple to make in the dining hall! Fun and whimsical, your friends will be stealing this sweet off of your tray.

If you are in SDH, pour peanut butter sauce and chocolate syrup in a bowl. If you are in NDH, add mini chocolate chips, a scoop of peanut butter, and a dab of butter to a bowl. Microwave until melted and stir.
Add a scoop or two of rice Chex cereal. Grab another bowl and place on top. Shake, just as you would toss a salad, till coated evenly.
Sprinkle on powdered sugar and toss to coat. Enjoy!

Bananas Foster
Paul Blangé, the chef at Brennan's, a famous French Quarter New Orleans restaurant, created this dessert in 1951. The name Foster was added to the dessert in reference to Stephen Foster, a local business owner and a frequent patron at Brennan's restaurant.

If in SDH, add about a tablespoon or so of melted butter into a bowl. If in NDH, melt some butter in the microwave.
Add sliced bananas to the bowl. Stir to coat.
Shake a generous portion of cinnamon sugar on top. Microwave for about 20 to 30 seconds.
Serve over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Top with caramel or nuts, if desired.