Ex-employee settles with ND

The University of Notre Dame settled their legal dispute with former Catering… by Design employee Sara Gaspar, according to court documents filed Wednesday.

Gaspar agreed to repay $16,859.79 to the University, about half of the $29,387 she originally mistakenly received as gratuity on April 17.

University spokesman Dennis Brown said Notre Dame worked closely with Gaspar to devise a settlement that would be reasonable for both sides.

"We worked very closely with Ms. Gaspar to resolve that matter and we think that the terms that both sides have agreed to are fair, and we'll just leave it at that," he said.

According to an Oct. 31 article in The South Bend Tribune, Gaspar will repay the debt in incremental payments of $50 each month, "meaning that the entire debt likely would be repaid in about 28 years."

The Tribune also said Gaspar was forced to pledge the car she bought with the mistaken gratuity — a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta — as collateral to secure the agreement.

Although the documents were filed last Wednesday, Brown said media outlets did not become aware of the settlement until a court date on Friday.

"There was a court date on Friday so that's when the Tribune and other media became aware of the settlement," Brown said.