Men’s Interhall Football: Champs crowned

Allan Joseph | Monday, November 23, 2009

Siegfried successfully defended its interhall championship from last season with a 41-12 rout of St. Edward’s Sunday.

On its first possession, Siegfried (5-1-1) used its power running game to drive down the field, capping the drive with a 17-yard touchdown run by junior quarterback Matt Meinert.

The Ramblers’ defense quickly intercepted St. Edward’s quarterback, and only a few minutes into the game Siegfried led 14-0 after another rushing touchdown.

The Gentlemen (4-3) lost nearly all semblance of hope when the game broke wide open on a wild touchdown in the Ramblers favor. Meinert threw a quick pass to his left that was twice deflected by St. Edward’s defenders before a Siegfried receiver tracked it down and scampered away from the defense for a long touchdown, giving the Ramblers a 20-0 lead.

The unexpected pass’s success only epitomized Siegfried’s running strength.

“The running game has been our identity all season,” Siegfried senior captain Dex Cure said. “We wanted to dance with the girl we came with.”

Before the first half ended, the Gentlemen managed a score, only to have Meinert respond on the next play with a long touchdown run of his own for a 29-6 halftime lead.

The second half was more of the same, with St. Edward’s continuing to struggle to move the ball through the air and Siegfried pounding the ball with the run and gashing the Gentleman defense for long runs.

“We figured that what we’ve been best at all season is the no-huddle pass,” St. Edward’s junior wide receiver Sean Reed said. “We didn’t want to deviate from that too much.”

Though St. Edward’s continued to fight, most of their drives ended in punts or interceptions. The Gentlemen did not help themselves with multiple dropped passes. They held nothing back, running multiple trick plays, including a double pass.

The Ramblers, however, continued to pile on points with multiple runners, including Meinert, sophomore Mike Isaacs and Cure. When the game finally ended, the scoreboard read 41-12 in favor of the defending champions. The Rambler cheering section rushed the field, celebrating their second interhall football championship in as many years.

“I’m just very proud of this team,” Cure said. “I’m proud of the way we played throughout the season.”

The Ramblers also look poised to compete for a “three-peat” next season, losing only five seniors from this year’s team.

St. Edward’s can only ponder what could have been, especially if star freshman inside linebacker Rob Dillard had not been hurt and had been able to help stop the run. The Gentlemen only lose four players to graduation and look forward to competing for a title next year.

This year, however, the championship belongs to Siegfried, who will savor the moment.
“This is a dream come true,” Cure said.