Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Men's Tennis: ND places five on Tourney team

Notre Dame finished up its final fall matches Sunday in Virginia, placing five of their players on the All-Tournament team at the William and Mary Invitational.

The Irish were able to post a 21-4 mark in singles play against players from William and Mary, Maryland and the College of Charleston.

Three of Notre Dame's singles players, junior David Anderson, sophomore Niall Fitzgerald and freshman Blas Moros, finished with 4-0 records in singles players.

"I have seen great strides in Blas Moros and his ability to compact the load in his forehand, as well as his attacking game," Irish coach Bobby Bayliss said. "David Anderson has overcome a painful back issue and is regaining his ability to serve big."

Anderson, Moros, Michael Moore, Dan Stahl and Sam Keeton all made the All-Tournament team for the Irish.

This was Fitzgerald's only appearance of the fall season for the Irish and he was able to come out on the winning end, playing in Flight One singles and defeating Sergio Wyss of Maryland by a score of 6-4, 6-4 Sunday to round out his tournament play.

Anderson defeated Wyss Saturday only dropping four games total in the match.
Keeton dropped his match to John Collins of Maryland Saturday, winning only three games, but rebounded to defeat Kyle Parker of the College of Charleston Sunday by a score of 6-3, 6-2.

Moore fought hard against William and Mary's No. 61 Keziel Juneau but dropped the match 10-3 in the third-set super tie breaker on the final day of play.

Stahl and Ftizgerald teamed up in doubles for the Irish on the weekend, playing in the No. 1 doubles flight and posting a 4-0 record in the tournament.

Bayliss said the Irish doubles play has been spotty this fall and it is an area the team will try to address before the spring season.

"We will go into our NCAA mandated ‘offseason,' so all of what we do outside of strength and conditioning work will be either individual skill instruction or any competitive things that are purely team initiated," Bayliss said. "My hope is that some of the changes we have made in our players' games will become more comfortable over time. We will need to hit the ground running when we come back in January, as we host Virginia that first weekend. They were number one most of last year. Most of the guys in key playing positions will be underclassmen and we need to see some maturity from them by January."

The Irish are now finished with their fall season until they host William and Mary on Jan. 22 to open their spring season.