Navy formal returns after hiatus

For the first time since 2002, the women of Saint Mary's hosted the men of the Naval Academy at a Student Government Association (SGA) sponsored Navy—Saint Mary's formal.

The dance was originally held in order to allow the Saint Mary's students to meet new people, however, the ball became a tradition after several consecutive years.
The Navy—Saint Mary's formal was traditionally held each year when Navy came to Notre Dame to play football and was sponsored by the junior class, Meghan Helmle, junior class president, said.

"This dance is a way for Saint Mary's to reconnect with the Naval Academy," she said. "It is also a way to give back to our student body.

Helmle said she started working with the Naval Academy back in September to reinstate the dance.

"We are able to host this event and not charge students an entry fee," she said. "This is meant to be a fun activity for the whole student body to enjoy."

Students said they enjoyed the dance, and look forward to attending in the future.

"The Navy boys were great dancers. A lot of them were really willing to ask girls to dance. They were also very polite," first year Sarah Korbonits said. "I would definitely go again. I think Saint Mary's should make this a tradition. The boys that came were very enthusiastic about being at Saint Mary's, which made it even more special."

Korbonits said the atmosphere was conducive to a pleasant evening.

"They played a lot of the classic old songs that people like to dance to as well as the new popular songs," she said. "The lights were pretty. I liked the decorations too. The centerpieces at the tables were well done."

Helmle said she hoped the dance would be something both the students of Saint Mary's and Navy could enjoy.

"It is really great that we were given this opportunity to continue a tradition here at Saint Mary's. I think over all the planning and preparations that have gone into this event will be worth it in the end," Helmle said.

Korbonits said the dance received rave reviews from both the Belles and the Midshipmen.
"I enjoyed the dance a lot. The Navy boys were very gentlemanly and a lot of fun to talk to. One of the guys I met said it was the most fun he's had all year," she said.