Sunday, May 12, 2024

Notes: Rudolph's injury status unknown

uSophomore tight end Kyle Rudolph left Saturday's game in the second half with what trainers initially thought was a broken collarbone. Irish coach Charlie Weis said Sunday that initial x-rays came back negative and the medical staff was still evaluating him.
"They x-rayed him and that came back negative," Weis said. "He went out and walked out of the locker room with a sling, but I don't know what the status of that is yet."

uWeis also said Sunday that sophomore quarterback Dayne Crist's surgery on his ACL went very well Friday.
"It went very, very well, better than we would have expected. Usually when you get an ACL there's a lot of residual damage along with that, and it was as clean as could be. There was no cartilage, no other ligaments, no bone," Weis said. "It only took about an hour to fix, and the prognosis is very good, probably a time frame faster than we normally would have expected based off of how little damage there was."

uClausen's 37 completions against the Midshipmen easily beat the previous record of 33, set by Joe Theismann against USC in 1970 and Brady Quinn against Michigan State in 2005. The junior's 452 passing yards were the most since Quinn threw for 467 against BYU in 2005.

uThe loss dropped Weis's record against teams with winning records to 8-19. Weis is also just 1-13 against teams ranked the in the top 25.

uIrish defensive players had different reactions to giving up 348 yards on the ground to Navy. "They out-schemed us, they just played harder," said junior defensive tackle Ian Williams. "I played my heart out, but I guess they just had a better scheme than we did."
Senior safety Kyle McCarthy indicated the failure was more in execution than the scheme.
"We have drilled all week that we have to take care of the fullback. That was a big part of our game plan and I guess we just didn't execute it," McCarthy said. "We made any adjustments that we felt we needed, and Navy just beat us; there is really no excuse."
Weis sided with McCarthy when asked about the question Sunday.
"I did hear quite contrasting answers to the same question. I think that question was presented to Ian, it was also presented to Kyle McCarthy, and from what I understand, Kyle McCarthy's answer was quite different, where he said it had nothing to do with the scheme," Weis said. "So there's a reason why one guy is a captain and one guy is not."