-

-

Show some respect

Greg Robinson | Monday, November 9, 2009

In our world today, there is probably a little too much political correctness. People need to stop getting so annoyed over the most innocuous of comments and grow up. Yet there are times in which a little more tact is called for. I could not help but be uncomfortable during the Navy game when the band struck up the Imperial Death March and the student section chanted, in unison, “Kill.”  Under most circumstances (USC, Washington, Nevada, etc.) I have no problem with this cheer. Nobody is actually suggesting that we end the lives of anybody on the opposing team and the members of that team are not in any danger — it’s just a cheer.

But in such a friendly rivalry, where we are playing a team full of men who are prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice for us, is it really necessary to even imply killing them, albeit in jest?

Furthermore, I do hope that the band refrains from using the “kill” cheer for our final game versus Connecticut. Again, under normal circumstances it is of course an innocent cheer, but with the events surrounding the tragic murder of Connecticut defensive back Jasper Howard, having a student section full of people chanting “kill” while engaged in a stabbing motion just seems to go a bit far.  Frankly, we’d look like a bunch of tools.

Greg Robinson

senior

off campus

Nov. 7