SMC club honors veterans

In recognition of Veterans Day yesterday, the Saint Mary's Social Work Club put up an informational booth to raise awareness about the men and women who currently serve and have previously served our country.

Members of the club, donning yellow ribbons to show support of veterans, distributed both information about the history of the holiday as well as yellow ribbons to faculty and staff, encouraging them to show their appreciation as well.

"Veterans Day is a day that we celebrate to remember those heroines and heroes that have served our country and gave us the freedoms we often take for granted," Mallory Price, Social Work Club president said. "The Social Work Club wants to raise awareness about the need for more support for veterans and to remember the women and men that have risked their lives for our country."

The club also aimed to raise awareness about the issues veterans face after finishing their tours abroad.

"Many don't realize that one in four homeless individuals is a veteran, that veterans have high suicide rates or that the loved ones of veterans sacrifice and suffer a great deal as well," Price said.

The booth also provided information about how students as well as social workers can become involved in helping veterans, through activities like writing letters to volunteering at veterans' hospitals.

"We also wanted to be proactive and show students that if they are interested in helping veterans, then there are many ways they can," Price said. "We also wanted to highlight that social work is a great career path that they can take to help veterans and their families, and that social workers are in great demand in the VA [Veterans' Affairs] Hospitals."

The display was set up from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. in the Student Center Atrium at the College. Price said the club hopes the display will give students perspective and appreciation for all they have.

"I think it is important that students are mindful that we have had the luxury of being born into a country where we have freedom and rights. There are millions of women and men who have put their lives on the line to secure those freedoms for us, and often when they return from war, they are forgotten about," she said. "Likewise, there are many students who have a loved one who currently serve or have served in the military in the past and it is to bring our community together and find solidarity."