Travesty against tradition

"Divided We Stand." This was the title of Scholastic Magazine's Sept. 17 cover story. This article has (as have some of the Viewpoint articles over the last year) characterized our alumni as outdated and out of touch with the University. They propose that as current undergrads, now is our time and our opinions should matter more than theirs. We are here now, so we know better than they, the alumni.

However, this seems inconsistent with a university that prides itself on tradition.

Perhaps we forget who started our traditions. Who wrote our fight song? Who invented our cheers? Who started the hundreds of clubs and organizations we participate in? Who built our athletic program? Our band program? Our academics?

It is pure arrogance to think that just because we are here now only our opinions matter.

Who paid for the dorms we live in? Our hall of science? Our performing arts center?

Alumni have built the foundations of this university, but many here would like to say that these foundations should not affect how we further build in the future. Divided we stand. However, "if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand" (Mark 3:25). If we divorce our University from its foundations, and the cornerstone in particular, how can it stand?

Perhaps our alumni are the true voice of the University, reminding us of who we are and where we came from. Perhaps the alumni are not out of touch with the University. Perhaps we are out of touch with the University's foundations. And if so, what a travesty against tradition.

Sincerely,

Christopher Damian

freshman

Dillon Hall

Nov. 18