Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Weekend Events Calendar

Thursday: Badin Art Show @ 6 to 9 p.m.

The annual Badin Art Show is taking place this Thursday evening from 6 to 9 p.m. in Badin Hall social space. This event features student artists from the University, as well as sidewalk chalk, music and free food. Submissions to the art show are judged and awarded prizes. This is a great opportunity to come out and support your fellow students and see some great art. You never know, your fellow classmates could be the next Van Gogh or Monet. Feel free to stop in at any time over all evening, although the earlier you get there, the more likely there will still be delicious food.

Friday: SUB Movie @ 8 and 10:30 p.m. in DeBartolo

This week's sub movie is "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince." The sixth installment of the Harry Potter series, it chronicles the sixth year at Hogwarts for Harry and his friends. As Lord Voldemort's path of terror and destruction grows wider, Harry and Dumbledore work to discover as much as they can about He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, in hope of one day destroying him. Harry is also presented with the challenge of appeasing a new professor, Horace Slughorn, in an effort to secure his help when the time comes. This movie will be shown Thursday at 10 p.m. and Saturday at 8 and 10:30 p.m. Tickets are $3.

Saturday: End Zone @ 10 p.m. LaFortune Ballroom

End Zone is a fantastic event put on for the student body by the Student Activities Office after every football game, so be sure to take advantage of it. The theme for the End Zone this week is laser tag and Chipotle. And what better way to celebrate a win than with two awesome things? Stop in with your friends anytime during the evening after the game. You can play one game of laser tag or stay all night. The Chipotle is sure to go fast, so the earlier you stop by, the better your chances. If nothing else, it's always nice to have something new and different to do on Saturday night.

Sunday: Irish Chamber Orchestra @ DPAC, 2 p.m.

The Irish Chamber Orchestra is performing at the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center. The Orchestra is composed of strings players with both national and international acclaim. Known for its fresh and exciting take on classical and contemporary music, this is one ensemble not to be missed. In addition to an already stellar group of musicians, Steven Mackey will be joining the Orchestra. He is known for his work on the electric guitar. Together with the Orchestra, Mackey will perform an original piece written for strings and electric guitar and commissioned specially for the group.