College's candygrams raise money for charity

With the hope raising money for charity while getting students in the holiday spirit of giving, Saint Mary's College is selling candygrams as a part of the 12 Days of Christmas program.

Students can purchase the candygrams in the Student Center Atrium during lunch from December 1 to December 12. An additional sale will be held on Dec. 7 during dinner. The candygrams can be delivered to anyone on Saint Mary's College campus. This is the second year the College has offered the treats to students.

"[We hope] to help make someone's day a bit brighter during finals week and also to help people learn more about the 12 Days program," Carrie Call, director of the Office for Civic and Social Engagement, said.

There are a variety of candygrams to purchase this year. Each candygram comes with a card.

"If you want to send a candygram, you come to the table in the atrium of the student center," Call said. "There you can pick from three different styles of cards. Each card has a holiday design and a different message. Once you have picked out a card, you then choose which candygram you wish to send."

Students can choose one of three different designs to send. Students then must decide between three different styles of candygrams. The basic candygram comes complete with four Hershey's kisses and costs 50 cents. For the same price, students can buy the Ghirardelli candygram, which contains a square of Ghirardelli chocolate. The final option is the Santagram, which holds a Russell Stover Chocolate Santa and costs one dollar.

"The candygrams are a way to send a little something special to someone on campus during finals week," Call said.

All of the proceeds from the candygrams sale will benefit the families that Saint Mary's College has adopted for the 12 Days of Christmas program.

Candygrams will be delivered to the front desk of each residence hall for students, and to the offices of faculty and staff.

The 12 Days of Christmas program will continue to hold various events to students from December 1 through December 12. The program is designed to help raise money for families and individuals in need during the holiday season.

The program offers a variety of social activities, volunteer opportunities and worship services. It will sponsor the annual Christmas Craft Show to provide local artisans with an opportunity to sell their goods with proceeds from table rental fees going to charity.