Saint Mary's to host craft show

The 12 Days of Christmas Program at Saint Mary's College is coming to a close this week, and Program coordinators want to end on a high note. Tomorrow the College will host a craft show, with over 60 local and regional vendors participating in the event, Carrie Call, director of the Saint Mary's office for civic and social engagement, said.

The show is open to the public and will take place from 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. in both the Reignbeaux Lounge and Stapleton Lounge of Le Mans Hall.

Call said vendors will be selling crafts like handmade jewelry, pottery, woodworking, bags, purses, handmade cards, silk floral arrangements, fiber arts, knitting, quilting furniture and more.

Items are authentic, and the Office for Civic and Social Engagement (OCSE) approves all vendors ahead of time, Call said.

"We have a woman who raises alpacas and makes yarn from their wool, which is knitted or crocheted into gloves, hats, shawls and mittens," Call said. "Another artist used antique silver-plated flatware to make pendants, pens, napkin rings and more. His work is gorgeous."

In addition, some vendors have made crafts with College emblems.

"One potter is bringing some Saint Mary's themed items especially for the show," Call said.

Some crafts come from all over the world, Call said, but the majority is generated by local artists.

Saint Mary's students will be facilitating the event by manning Saint Mary's sponsored tables, by helping vendors unload and set up their items and by shopping at the event.

Students can also contribute homemade items to be sold.

All proceeds, Call said, go directly toward the 12 Days of Christmas Program.

"The money is used to buy food, clothing and gifts for the 25 families we have sponsored this holiday season," said Call.

Prices of the crafts, she said, range anywhere from less than $1 to over $100 dollars.

This is the third year for the event, and Call said it has grown every year. 

"We hope for a great turn-out from the whole community [this year]," she said.

Some students plan to take advantage of the event as an opportunity to shop for Christmas presents.

"This is a great way for me to buy unique items for my family," sophomore Eva Cavadini said. "The event couldn't have been scheduled at a better time for me to get last minute Christmas gifts."