Sunday, May 12, 2024

Class council series hosts housing CEO

CEO of housing company Pulte Homes Richard Dugas will deliver a presentation Tuesday evening, the second in a lecture series sponsored by the Junior Class Council.

Junior Class Council president Caitlin Pulte said she envisioned the series as an academic component of her ticket's platform. 

Originally intended for CEOs, the series now features professionals from a variety of fields. Tom Cole, a Chicago lawyer, was featured in the series last semester.

Pulte said the series offers multiple benefits for students, including contact information from business leaders and recommendations beyond the academic realm to real-world settings.

"We are all looking for internships," Pulte said. "These people are willing to help us with advice on how to get into the real world."

Pulte also said she has seen positive reactions from students.

"The questions that are asked are intelligent," Pulte said. "They show that the students are really interested and really care."

Currently, Pulte and her committee are contacting Fred Smith, the CEO of FedEx. Approval by the Student Activities Office (SAO) and the scheduling limitation posed by the April 1 student government turnover date have challenged the progress of the CEO lecture series, she said.

Nevertheless, CEOs have the opportunity to detail their experiences in a more relaxed environment. 

"When I talked to Mr. Dugas, he hadn't really been to many schools," Pulte said. "The CEOs can freely talk about whatever they want and not have to do it in such a professional manner."

Dugas' lecture, titled "Managing through the Financial Crisis," will detail his experience as CEO of Pulte Homes, a major U.S. home building company.

Pulte said this lecture is relevant for students in future management positions dealing with economic downturns, a situation that has especially impacted the housing industry.