Dance Marathon hosts fundraisers

ALICIA SMITH | Friday, January 29, 2010

After raising over $91,500 at Dance Marathon 2009, the Saint Mary’s College Dance Marathon club continues to raise funds and awareness for Riley Children’s Hospital senior Kelly Deranek, the event’s president, said.

With a variety of events planned, the club hopes to raise funds to benefit the Hospital.
“Any amount of money that we raise is money that the Hospital didn’t have,” Deranek said.  “Anything that we can give them is great. Of course we always love to raise more than we did last year, but we have no set goal.”

The club hosted “Give Back Night” at Five Guys Burgers and Fries this past Wednesday. A portion of the proceeds from the event that were collected will be added to the grand total which will be announced at the Marathon on March 26 and 27.

The club has several other events coming up within the next few weeks.  Other “Give Back Nights” will be offered, as well as a sale of candy for Valentine’s Day.

“We are going to be doing a sale for Valentine’s Day where we will be selling sweets that people can purchase and we’ll deliver them,” Deranek said.

The candy sale will begin on Feb. 8 and will continue through Feb. 12. 

Additionally, a Purse Party will be held on Feb. 12, where handbags and accessories will be available for purchase.

Another event that Dance Marathon will be hosting is Salon Night, which will coincide with a Fannie Mae Candy Sale for Easter on Feb. 22.

The club has a variety of other events, including A Miss-A-Meal where students at the College can give up a meal one night and allow the money that they would have spent on the meal to be donated to the Dance Marathon.

A Charity Denim event and a babysitting night will be hosted as well.

“[We will have] a babysitting night for Riley families in the area that come to our marathon,” Deranek said. “We’re going to have a night where we volunteer and watch their kids so they can go out for the night. “

The club plans on hosting the actual the Dance Marathon towards the end the academic year. At the Marathon students come together from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. to raise awareness for the Hospital.

“The purpose of Dance Marathon is to raise financial and emotional awareness for the Children’s Miracle Network but specifically at Riley’s Children’s Hospital in Indianapolis,” Deranek said.

Forms are available on the Dance Marathon Web site and will be accepted through the event.

“Everyone is encouraged, for all three campuses,” Deranek said. “We’re going to be at Holy Cross sometime in the next few weeks collecting packets and promoting the event. They’ve had information at Notre Dame Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights to encourage Notre Dame students to come as well.”