Not our place to judge

Sometimes it takes a Viewpoint letter to bring about clarity. I would like to thank Patrick McHugh for his erudite letter about forgiveness ("Forgive and forget," Jan. 22). For the past week, I have been more annoyed than anything else about the comic hoopla, but I am now writing my own letter of support for adding sexual orientation to Notre Dame's anti-discrimination clause. While I will never wear a shirt that says, "Gay? Fine by me," I don't believe it is my place, nor Notre Dame's, to be judge of morality. And let us be honest: The only thing holding Notre Dame back is moral judgment.

Adding sexual orientation to an anti-discrimination clause is not an endorsement of alternative lifestyles, but rather one of the most Christian acts we can do. If we are following the example of Christ, then we should love each other, not judge one another. Each of us will one day have to give an account to God of our actions; I would rather be known as a lover of people than an aloof, "righteous" person who casts moral judgments at others. Christians should be especially cognizant of the specter of discrimination, for since the time of Christ, Christians themselves have been persecuted. Jesus taught us to love our neighbors as ourselves. So I will love my neighbor, too, no matter his or her race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, veteran status, any disability he or she may have and no matter his or her sexual orientation.

While I do not believe the comic strip in question was an outright attack, but rather a misguided attempt at humor, I believe now is the perfect moment for the University of Notre Dame to open its loving arms to all people and add sexual orientation to its anti-discrimination clause.

Jonathan Sarna

senior

off campus

Jan. 22