Saint Mary’s to sell carnations

Brittany VanSnepson | Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Valentine’s Day is most notably known for its emphasis on romantic relationships, but Saint Mary’s College is changing that by emphasizing relationships of all kinds. 

Today through Feb. 2, Saint Mary’s students will be selling carnations in the atrium of the student center during lunch and dinner.
The red carnations, attached with a Valentine’s card, can be purchased for any friend for $2. 
“The flowers are for two reasons. The first is as a celebration of Valentine’s Day and a bit of color during the dreary days of winter,” Carolyne Call, director of the Office for Civic and Social Engagement, said. “The other reason is to raise money for Rebuilding Together.”
Each year, Saint Mary’s College sponsors a house for the Rebuilding Together project, a mission to rehabilitate dilapidating houses. These homes generally belong to recipients that are elderly, disabled or living below the poverty line. All participants’ houses underwent a lengthy inspection and application in order to be accepted into the program. 
The volunteer day, April 17, will go towards major repairs on the house, such as electrical work, carpentry, painting, window glazing, caulking and plumbing. 
Saint Mary’s College is hoping the fundraiser proceeds will amount to $300, which will go towards the overall $3,500 cost for sponsoring the house.  
This major spring event is a way of raising awareness about Rebuilding Together, while at the same time, brightening people’s day. 
“Involvement with Rebuilding Together is the way we can ‘love thy neighbor,’ one house at a time,” Call said. 
For further information on Rebuilding Together, visit http://www.rtsjc.org/