SMC honors Fr. Moreau

In honor of the feast day of Blessed Fr. Basil Moreau yesterday, Saint Mary's College prepared a special meal that featured food typical of Moreau's native country, France.

Each year the College honors Moreau with two meals, one on the day of his beatification in September and one on his Feast Day. Along with the meal, Mass was held in Holy Spirit Chapel in LeMans Hall. A reception followed the Mass.

Additionally, Sr. M. L. Gude, vice president of the College's Division for Mission, spoke about Moreau and the heritage of Saint Mary's.

"Blessed Basil Anthony Moreau is the founder of the religious family of Holy Cross, Sisters, Priests and Brothers. The Sister of the Holy Cross are the founders and sponsors of Saint Mary's College," Judy Fean, director of Campus Ministry said. "Moreau was beatified in Le Mans, France, Sept. 15, 2007 and his Feast Day was selected, Jan. 20, the anniversary of his death. Blessed Basil Anthony Moreau's vision of education was to educate the mind and the heart."

The Feast Day of Moreau falls within the College's Heritage Week, which is dedicated to commemoration of the College's traditions and roots.

"I cannot think of a more appropriate time to celebrate Moreau's life than during Heritage Week at Saint Mary's," Jenny Hoffman, student body president said. "The week's events are designed to educate students on the rich history and tradition of our College. It is only fitting that we learn more about our history in order to appreciate our school today."

The events were designed to commemorate as well as educate students about the founder of the order of the Holy Cross.

"It is very important for us to keep Blessed Basil Anthony Moreau's vision of Christian education alive as we learn more about the mission and vision of the Sisters of the Holy Cross," Fean said.

She said Saint Mary's works to educate women not just in academics, but in social justice as well. Moreau, she said, acts as a reminder of this philosophy.

"Blessed Basil Anthony Moreau was always reaching out to be in solidarity with the forgotten or with those who lived on the fringes of society," she said. "Saint Mary's College educates women to make a difference in the world, to reach out to others, and to work towards the common good of all people."

Hoffman agreed that it was important to remind students of the life of Moreau.

"Since Moreau played such a key role in the founding of Saint Mary's College, we students celebrate his feast day as a way to acknowledge and appreciate his vision, persistence, and determination," she said.