Three tickets approved by council

Notre Dame's Judicial Council has approved three tickets to run for the position of student body president and vice president for the 2010-11 school year. 

The candidates are: sophomores Catherine Soler and Andrew Bell; juniors Eras Noel and Julian Corona; and freshmen Peter Ledet and Gabe Alvare. Junior Cameron Shane also appealed to Student Senate to approve his petition, however Senate did not because the submission was late. 

The debates and election will take place during the month of February.

tCatherine Soler and Andrew Bell
Current sophomore class president Soler said she hopes to lead the student body in a "friendly and fun way."

Although the student body president has traditionally taken the role as a junior, Soler said she sees her age as an advantage.

"We have a ton of juniors and seniors helping out in our campaign but we can also relate to the younger students," she said. 

A focus of the campaign is textbook prices, and Soler said they will work to create a rental textbook system in the Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore.

The duo also wants to offer students discounts at local off-campus restaurants. 
"We want to support local merchants and give students an opportunity to hang out and save money," she said. 

Soler said they are also campaigning to reform pep rallies, renovate the DeBartolo Hall lounge and start a block party for students and the community at Eddy Street Commons. 
"Andrew and I have the same vision of leadership," she said. "It is in service, not for the position or the power."

tEras Noel and Julian Corona
The two juniors do not come from a student government background, but Noel said he believes this will revitalize the system.

"Our campaign slogan is called ‘A New Perspective' so we're here to offer a different point of view," Noel said. "Because we haven't been involved, we can offer a pure student view."

If elected, Noel said he wants to extend the reach of flex points so they can be used in Eddy Street Commons.

"We've already talked to the owners of [Five Guys Burger and Fries] and they are interested," he said.

The ticket also is planning to pursue hot grab-and-go options and increase communication between student government and the student body.

"We're juniors so we've been a part of the Notre Dame community for awhile," he said. "We know how to get the job done."

tPeter Ledet and Gabe Alvare
The Zahm freshmen said most of their campaign points are "under construction," but they have one finalized idea: milk chocolate statues on South Quad.

The chocolate statues would be of Ledet and Alvare. 

"It would be just us in the middle of the Quad," Ledet said.

The ticket also wants to lower tuition costs for male students, but keep female tuition costs stable. 

"We're just totally rad, so it's like a sin not to vote for us," Ledet said.