University policies reviewed

The Campus Life Council (CLC) is beginning the new semester with a review of University policies outlined in du Lac: A Guide to Student Life and plans to discuss possible revisions with the Office of Student Affairs in coming meetings.

"The revisions to du Lac are the epitome of responsibility when it comes to the CLC," student body president Grant Schmidt said. "They will be a massive priority for the next few meetings."

Associate Vice President for Residence Life Bill Kirk met with the members of CLC to give the group the opportunity to present the areas of the handbook that are being considered for review.  

"The associate vice president for Residence Life will make a best effort to identify to the Campus Life Council those policies under consideration for revision in the next edition of du Lac," the handbook states.

Kirk said he hopes students will offer feedback on possible du Lac revisions to student government. 

"Students and student organizations wishing to provide comments on policies and/or procedures are encouraged to submit such comments to student government representatives," Kirk said.

Kirk will attend the Jan. 25 meeting of the CLC to identify the policies the Office of Student Affairs is currently targeting for revision. The Council will discuss these potential changes along with feedback from the rest of the Notre Dame community before meeting with Kirk again on Feb. 8. 

"I plan on bringing this information back to my staff meetings and asking for their input as well," Lewis Hall rector Linda Cirillo said. 

Schmidt said certain issues will "definitely merit serious questions as to their revision" and requested that the CLC members be attentive and committed to all the topics put on the table. He emphasized the CLC's responsibility to act as a representative of the student body.

"We are essentially a sounding board to provide comments and concerns for these changes," Schmidt said. 

While CLC does not make any final decisions about the revisions, Schmidt said it can serve as a strong voice before the Office of Student Affairs for critiques of current policies and procedures.