A random act of kindness

We've all seen the quote on the wall of the upstairs of South Bend's finest eatery, Sidedoor Deli: "Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you." Princess Diana really threw out some words to live by. But last night, someone performed a random act of kindness for me and I think it deserves some credit.
After a late night snack at Nick's Patio, my roommates and I were making the hop, skip and a jump back to our apartment at Clover Ridge. It was cold (it is South Bend in February) but it was manageable. Just as we were jaywalking into the Martin's parking lot, a mini van cruised up behind us with a window rolled down. It was one of Michiana's finest cab drivers, Dudley, who hollered out the window, "Girls, you look cold, how about a free ride home?"
We gladly accepted the 200-yard drive back to our toasty abode and Dudley drove off into the night. I wanted to take a hot second to thank him for the ride. I hope that one day I can do what Lady Diana suggested and return the favor. I'm grateful for the selfless acts of friends and strangers; It makes me pretty confident that our world is a great place.
Keep the chain going! Hold the door open for the lady behind you at Studebagels, let your professor know how much he means to you, leave a piece of chocolate by your neighbors door. Do it not for the reward, but because some day you may be freezing cold and walking home and someone might do the same for you.

Clare Orfanos
junior
Saint Mary's College
Feb. 25