-

-

Bengal Bouts: Semifinals, 133 pounds

Chris Allen, Megan Finneran, Kaitlyn Murphy, Allan Joseph and Matthew Robison | Wednesday, February 24, 2010

133 pounds

Chris ‘Cougar’ Cugliari def. Brian ‘Ghost Hands’ Robillard

Senior captain Cugliari’s fast hands and quick feet overcame the sophomore Robillard in a unanimous decision. Cugliari opened the fight looking to set the tone and threw plenty of punches. He connected on a big punch early to Robillard’s face, knocking him down. After scoring the early knockdown, Cugliari played it safe, picking his spots and pouncing whenever Robillard let his guard down.

Robillard fought back in the second round using his strong left jab to put Cugliari on the defensive. Cugliari seized any chance he got to put Robillard back on the defensive, and he spent a good portion of the second round controlling the action.

Robillard opened the third round punching, nearly knocking down Cugliari, but ultimately Cugliari grounded himself with two strong hooks and earning the unanimous victory.

Michael ‘The Silver City Slugger’ Sayles def. Nicholas ‘The Guillotine’ Goode
Senior captain Sayles earned a split decision over the bigger Goode, a junior, to return to the finals. Sayles began the fight by evading Goode’s punches and jabbing repeatedly to the body. Sayles ended up pounding Goode’s body into the corner, though Goode successfully tied up Sayles to stop him whenever he got on a roll.

In the final round, Goode closed very strong, maintaining his energy against the quicker Sayles and landing a number of different powerful hooks to the head. Sayles tripped and fell towards the end of the round, but ultimately the advantage in punches landed throughout the bout was enough to pull out the split decision.