Bengal Bouts: Semifinals, 140 pounds

140 pounds

Michael Johnston def. Brian ‘The Good Thief' Heath
The two seniors came out with differing styles, and ultimately Johnston prevailed with a unanimous victory. Johnston landed a number of combinations in the first round, which Heath couldn't counter with enough punches to bring the momentum back in his favor.

Johnston settled into a nice rhythm in the second round, moving shiftily around the ring and striking at will whenever Heath opened himself up to an attack.  Heath mounted a couple of combos but Johnston's strong defensive abilities usually cut them short before Heath could gain the upper hand.

In the third, Johnston went to the jab and wore Heath out,  coasting to a unanimous victory.

Albert Toscano def. Nick ‘Bronco' Bortolotti

The two sophomores went toe-to-toe for three rounds as Toscano ultimately bested Bortolotti in a unanimous decision in this energetic bout. The pair fought an even first round as both of them came out riding a wave of emotion from their large cheering sections.

Both fighters went right back to work early in the second, as Toscano's relentless left hook started to hit consistently while Bortolotti attempted to use his long jab to keep him at a distance.

In the third round Bortolotti appeared to turn the tide, striking with a number of punches and staying on the offensive. Toscano adapted and rode his uppercut, which he connected with often to help him wrap up the unanimous decision.