Bengal Bouts: Semifinals, 147 pounds

Chris Allen, Megan Finneran, Kaitlyn Murphy, Allan Joseph and Matthew Robison | Wednesday, February 24, 2010

147 pounds

Kieran Bulger def. Matthew Lemanski
The senior Bulger advanced the finals after stalling in the semifinals last year by besting the sophomore Lemanski in a unanimous decision. The fight took on a defensive pace early on as each fighter held back their punches and looked to pounce whenever their opponent let down. Bulger rode the momentum from a strong end of the opening round into the second, dodging a flurry of punches from Lemanski and countering with headshots.
The third round was a slow affair, as both fighters were visibly spent from the furious second round.  Bulger’s statement in the second round proved to be enough to win him the unanimous decision.

Kevin ‘DiGiornio’ Ortenzio def. Thomas ‘Shake and Bake’ Enzweiler

Junior Enzweiler had a clear height advantage, giving him the confidence to begin the match with energy, but the sophomore Ortenzio fought back with technique. Both fighters went on the offensive in the second round, and while both ended up worse for the wear, neither took an advantage into the third round. Ortenzio utilized the height disparity well in the third, delivering a series of uppercuts to Enzweiler. In the end, Ortenzio won the very close fight by split decision.