-

-

BREAKING NEWS: Students, staff in Chile reported safe after earthquake

Observer Staff Report | Saturday, February 27, 2010

All students and staff members associated with Notre Dame programs in Chile are accounted for and safe after an 8.8-magnitude earthquake hit the country Saturday, a University press release said.

The University has 19 undergraduate students and two staff members studying and working in Santiago, the site of the University’s study abroad program. Five graduate students are also in Santiago for Notre Dame’s Alliance for Catholic Education program, along with one staff member from the MBA program.

Members of the Congregation of Holy Cross working in Chile were also reported to be safe.

The University will monitor the situation in the coming days to determine whether to continue with its programs in Chile this semester.

“For the second time this semester, we are immensely grateful that Notre Dame students, faculty and staff are safe in the wake of a devastating natural disaster,” University President Fr. John Jenkins said. “As was the case last month for Haitians after an earthquake hit that nation, the prayers of the Notre Dame family now are with the people of Chile.”

The Notre Dame study abroad program in Chile was established in 1993 and is based in Santiago. Students take most of their courses at the Pontificia Universidad Catolica.

The Alliance for Catholic Education program in Chile is an 18-month program that involves teaching for one year at St. George’s College in Santiago, certification in teaching English as a new language and Spanish language immersion.