Clubs able to accept Domer Dollar donations

The elevators in LaFortune are often a prime spot for student organizations to raise funds for charities. However, students have long expressed concern about their ability to donate cash, which few have on hand.  

Charlie Jain, a senior in Zahm Hall, found a solution to this problem with a proposal that he calls Domer Dollar Donations.

The idea for Domer Dollar Donations originated two years ago when Jain, attempting to collect money for charities as the Center for Social Concerns (CSC) commissioner for his dorm, heard students saying they would give Flex Points or Domer Dollars if they could. 
"Regardless of whether or not students had cash on them, they felt more willing to give money if it was more convenient for them," Jain said.

Jain brought up the idea of using Domer Dollars to the CSC social commissioner at the time, and the proposal passed through Student Senate in Fall 2008, Jain said.

In Spring 2009, Jain and the Student Senate Committee developed a proposal. After communicating with Food Services, the Student Activities Office (SAO) and LaFortune Administration, the program is set to begin.

"The ultimate goal for the program is to better aid the beneficiaries of student clubs," Jain said. "In doing so, this program will help students act on what they believe by enabling them to give monetary donations to charities, even when students do not usually have much money."

When student groups fill out an SAO request online form for a table in front of the LaFortune elevators, they can select to have the swipe machine, which is similar to the machines at the dining halls. 
Students can state the amount of money they wish to donate, swipe their card, and be on their way, Jain said.
Rachel Roseberry, the Social Concerns chair, used the machine Friday to sell the benefit CD "Head Above Water."  The profits from the CD go to Student Government's Global Water Initiative.
"The Domer Dollars machine was easy and efficient to use, and it definitely increased our selling potential," Roseberry said. "Some students were able to purchase the CD who would not have been able to before because they weren't carrying cash. The machine is a great tool to allow Notre Dame students to give back with convenience, and it will be a great resource for any club that utilizes it."

"This program will not just be located in front of the elevators in LaFortune," Jain said. "If the program has a successful start, then maybe more swipe machines for donating will pop up at dining halls, or, in an ideal world, a CSC commissioner or club board member would be able to walk around with a wireless swipe machine and collect donations."