College continues to focus on sending money to various relief organizations

Alicia Smith | Tuesday, February 16, 2010

As relief efforts for Haiti continue, Saint Mary’s College has also continued to do its part in collecting funds for donation.

The College has been focusing on helping the American Red Cross, Catholic Relief Services and the Sisters of Holy Cross and Friends of the Orphans, Carrie Call, director of the Office of Civic and Social Engagement, said.

Call said the agencies are only asking for monetary donations, so the College has no plans to host drives for tangible items such as toiletries.

The Office has continued to share information with students about how they can assist each organization in the effort to bring aid to Haiti after the recent earthquake.
Call said although only monetary aid is needed at this time, students can still get involved in the relief efforts.

“Students can become active by planning events or programs that raise money and awareness for Haiti,” Call said. “Some students have been involved with Friends of the Orphans, and this group is doing excellent work in Haiti.”

Call said the College has had several fundraisers to benefit the relief efforts. In January, a benefit concert was organized and held by members of the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s Friends of the Orphans group. Donations were accepted for entrance to the concert, and the funds raised benefited orphans in Haiti.

Additionally, Call said Saint Mary’s has hosted several Masses where funds were gathered during the collection to benefit Haiti.

“It’s important to keep providing relief to Haiti because they are in dire straits. They have the labor force to begin rebuilding, but they need resources,” Call said. “We can provide those resources.”

The Athletic Department at the College has also helped to collect funds for Haiti relief. A portion of money collected from concession and ticket sales was donated to the relief efforts.

Call said Friends of the Orphans has also set up a variety of collection jars around Saint Mary’s campus to collect spare change for donation.

A panel discussion, which featured faculty members from both Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s, was held today to highlight the history and culture of Haiti.