Fencing: Squads stay perfect at Northwestern duals

Kevin Baldinw | Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Continuing a tradition of excellence with an undefeated performance at the Northwestern Duals this past weekend, the Irish men’s and women’s fencing teams remain perfect through the 2010 intercollegiate season.

Both squads, ranked No. 2 nationally, trumped Duke, Princeton and No. 3 regional threat Ohio State.

Competition started off well, especially with the men’s foil, in which juniors Zach Schirtz and Grant Hodges turned in perfect performances Saturday. Sophomore Reggie Bentley followed up their performances with a 6-0 record Sunday to secure a close win over the Buckeyes.

The men’s saber squad has shown improvement all year, and sophomore Anthony Schlehuber and junior Avery Zuck led the pack with undefeated performances Sunday including a collective 9-0 victory against Cleveland State.

The women’s foil has also showed their ability to shift their performance into the next gear over the last week with sophomore Christina LaBarge boasting a perfect 8-0 record in contributing to a thrashing of top-ranked Ohio State.

“At this moment we didn’t lose any bouts against conference teams,” Irish coach Janusz Bednarski said. “They will be coming for revenge in our duals in Notre Dame.”

It is important for the team to establish a presence within the conference as the Midwest Championships approach. The next few weeks will be a crucial test of the team’s

reparedness to take on the fierce competition that comes with qualifications for nationals.
“Midwest Championships will be in the beginning of March, we will try to prove ourselves to the conference,” Bednarski said.

The Irish will play host to the annual Notre Dame Duals this weekend, lasting all day Saturday and Sunday at the Joyce Center.