Giving thanks everyday

In response to the letters surrounding the issue of pay for workers at Notre Dame, perhaps it would be wise to also reflect on what we, as individuals, can do.
I have a part time job at Starbucks in LaFortune and I do my best to take the time to greet each customer with a friendly, "Hi, how are you today?" It is not unusual for people to ignore this greeting and bark out their order. I imagine there are similar experiences across the campus, in all the delicious eateries. Regardless if a person supports the idea of a raise, will such a raise make us feel less guilty about being, well, just plain old rude?
That being said, I would like to thank all the food service worker — from the crust tosser at Sbarros to the stir-fry chefs at SDH — the food here is delicious. I don't care what the silly complaint du jour is. I am eternally grateful for the cornucopia of cafés, my bountiful choice between two wonderful dining halls and the fact that you guys could make a flying purple people eater taste good.
But there is another group of people on campus that I would also like to thank, and that is the Notre Dame Fire Department. I recently fell severely ill and NDFD was the first on the scene. I was unresponsive, and while being wheeled away in a stretcher by Mishawaka EMTs, I was unable to thank these invaluable Notre Dame family members.
So, while it is noble to request, I also recognize it may not be practical to raise the salary of every employee of Notre Dame, who I believe do their work dutifully and perform their jobs exceedingly well, and are deserving of such a raise. However, if our Catholicism has taught us one thing, let it be that thanksgiving is not just for one day a year. It is for every day — to be expressed with grace to the person who makes your Subway sandwich to the Notre Dame fire fighter who checks your vital signs.

Melissa Jordan
freshman
Ryan Hall
Feb. 22