ND Track & Field: Men win Indoor Big East championship

With five individual titles and 15 all-Big East selections, the Irish men claimed the 2010 Indoor Big East championship this weekend for the fourth time in eight seasons. The women's squad also made an impressive showing, finishing sixth.

In a dominating performance on the men's side, sophomore Johnathan Shawel won the 1,000-meter run, senior Eric Quick won the triple jump, sophomore Jack Howard won the 800 meters, junior Justin Schneider won the heptathlon and senior Matt Schipper won the pole vault. The Irish earned 146.50 points, finishing 42.50 points above the next closest team.

For the women, senior Joanna Schultz earned all-Big East accolades and won the 400-meter dash. Three other athletes earned all-conference honors as well.

Other standout performers included sophomore Jordan Carlson and senior Daniel Clark in the men's mile, finishing second and third respectively; both earned all-conference honors in the process.

Senior Blake Choplin finished second in the men's 1,000, while Denes Veres also earned points for the Irish and Big East honors, finishing second in the men's shot put. The men's 4 x 800-meter relay finished second and earned all-Big East honors.

Up next for the Irish is the final qualifying meet for the indoor season, the Alex Wilson Invitational at Notre Dame on March 5-6. The Irish will look to add to the already lengthy list of NCAA Championship qualifiers in that meet. Schultz, Howard and Matt and Kevin Schipper are among the Irish who have already qualified.