ND Track & Field: Senior Ferguson sets NCAA mark

The Irish put forth a strong effort this weekend at the Indiana Invitational in Bloomington, Ind., claiming multiple first-place finishes and setting one NCAA qualifying mark in the two-day competition.

Senior Lindsay Ferguson set an NCAA provisional qualifying mark with a time of 4:45:92 in the one-mile race. She is the third to set an NCAA qualifying mark this season, along with senior Joanna Schultz in the 400-meter race and sophomore Kevin Schipper in the pole vault.

Senior Jaclyn Espinoza finished first in the shot put with a throw of 14.26 meters.
Throwing coach Adam Beltran commented on Espinoza's talent and work ethic.

"Her ability to focus and stay in the zone never ceases to amaze me," he said. "Her positive attitude has really allowed her to work through any inconstancies and overcome them much more quickly than the athletes who easily get discouraged."

The Irish claimed several more first place finishes on the first day of competition. These included sophomore Molly Hirt in the 3,000-meter race with a time of 10:07:91, sophomore Mitch Lorenz in the 600-meter contest with a time of 1:21, the Irish A squad in the men's distance medley relay with a time of 9:53:24 and sophomore Doug Onuscheck in the men's high jump with a height of 2.02 meters.

On the second day of competition, the Irish added to the four first-place finishes from the first day. Standout freshman Nevada Sorenson continued to prove her dominance in the 60-meter hurdles as she finished first with a time of 8.49, senior Eric Quick finished at the top of the men's long jump field with a mark of 7.46 meters and Schultz finished first in the 400-meter race with a time of 55.72.

In total, the Irish earned over 20 top-five finishes and will look to set more NCAA provisional marks at next weekend's meet.

The Irish will return to the Loftus Sports Arena for the Meyo Invitational next weekend.