Observer announces new department heads

Eight additional editors will join The Observer's Editorial Board for the 2010-11 year, incoming Editor-in-Chief Matt Gamber announced Thursday.

Juniors Jordan Gamble and Blair Chemidlin and sophomores Sarah Mervosh and Douglas Farmer will join the Editorial Board in their new positions after Spring Break.

Dan Jacobs and Laura McCrystal, both juniors, will take their new positions in the fall when they return from studying abroad.

Juniors Michelle Maitz and Ashley Charnley will retain their current positions of Viewpoint editor and Saint Mary's editor, respectively.

A resident of Le Mans Hall from Angola, Ind., Charnley has covered Saint Mary's news since her freshman year and held the position of Saint Mary's editor for the 2009-10 year.

Maitz has held the position of Viewpoint editor since fall of 2009 and will retain that position. She is a resident of Farley Hall from Surrey, England.

Mervosh, a resident of Badin Hall, will serve as News editor. When McCrystal returns from abroad in the fall, the two will serve as co-News editors.

A native of Pittsburgh, Pa., Mervosh has written for The Observer since her freshman year and has covered a variety of stories including the cancellation of the Innsbruck study abroad program, a protest against the University's invitation to President Barack Obama last spring and student government. She is a Psychology and Arabic double major with a minor in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy.

McCrystal is an American Studies and French major with a minor in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy. She is from Chagrin Falls, Ohio, and lives in Pasquerilla East Hall. McCrystal has covered student government, former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee's book signing on campus, and she examined Notre Dame's Appalachia seminar in an in-depth piece.

Farmer will serve as the Sports editor. A resident of Alumni Hall, Farmer has worked for the department since his freshman year and covered Bengal Bouts, track and field, women's tennis and this year's women's soccer College Cup. A sophomore, Farmer is a Program of Liberal Studies major and is pursuing a minor in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy. He is originally from La Crosse, Wisc.

Gamble will join the Editorial Board as the Scene editor. Gamble, currently residing in McGlinn Hall, interviewed Knute Rockne's grandson for a story about the 1930s film "The Spirit of Notre Dame" for the section. She is from Lafayette, Ind., and is majoring in American Studies with minors in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy and Catholic Social Tradition.

Jacobs is spending the semester participating in Notre Dame's London Program, but will assume the role of photo editor in the fall. An Industrial Design major from O'Neill Hall, Jacobs has covered a variety of campus events, including events during Barack Obama's 2009 Commencement address in the spring. He is from Granger, Ind.

Chemidlin will serve as Graphics editor. She has worked for the department since her freshman year and is a resident of Welsh Family Hall. Chemidlin is an English and sociology major from Watchung, N.J.

The other editors previously selected for the Editorial Board include Managing Editor Madeline Buckley, and Assistant Managing Editors Laura Myers and Sam Werner, in addition to Gamber.