Observer chooses next top editors

Madeline Buckley, Laura Myers and Sam Werner have been chosen to help oversee The Observer's editorial operations in 2010-11, incoming Editor-in-Chief Matt Gamber announced Wednesday.

Buckley will assume the position of managing editor, the No. 2 spot at the paper, and Myers and Werner will serve as assistant managing editors.

A junior majoring in American Studies and Spanish with a minor in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy, Buckley will assist Gamber in managing all departments of The Observer's print and online editions.

A native of Northbrook, Ill., Buckley lives in Breen-Phillips Hall and currently serves as News Editor. She has covered a variety of topics for The Observer, including student government, the controversy surrounding President Barack Obama's 2009 Commencement address and University President Fr. John Jenkins' recent participation in the 2010 March for Life in Washington, D.C.

"I have had the opportunity to work with so many great people at The Observer, and I look forward to continuing to work with everyone to put out the best paper possible," Buckley said.

Myers, a resident of Cavanaugh Hall, is a junior majoring in economics and theology with a minor in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy. She is a native of Wadsworth, Ohio, and currently serves as an Assistant Sports Editor.

She has coordinated The Observer's coverage of Baraka Bouts and Bengal Bouts, and her previous assignments include covering Irish men's basketball and tennis and women's basketball, volleyball and softball.

"I'm excited to step into an increased role with the paper and cannot wait to get started," Myers said.

Werner served as an Associate Sports Editor during the fall semester and is now studying abroad in London. A native of Norwalk, Conn., Werner is a junior pursuing majors in American Studies and Arts and Letters Preprofessional and a minor in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy.

He previously served as interhall editor and has covered Irish football, hockey, men's lacrosse, volleyball and softball.

"I am excited to take on this new position at The Observer. There are a lot of talented people on the staff who I very much look forward to working with over the coming months," Werner said.

Gamber will begin his duties as Editor-in-Chief on March 1, and the rest of the Editorial Board will assume their roles March 15.