Observer elects new top editor

The Observer General Board elected Sports Editor Matt Gamber as the 2010-11 Editor-in-Chief Sunday.

Gamber, a junior finance and American Studies major with a minor in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy, is a native of Mt. Prospect, Ill.

Gamber, a former resident of Sorin College who currently resides off campus, has led several sports beats, including football, men's basketball, hockey, baseball, women's lacrosse and Saint Mary's cross country.

"I'm honored to assume the role of Editor-in-Chief, and I look forward to the opportunity to work with so many of the people that make the Notre Dame and Saint Mary's community such a unique and special place," Gamber said.

Gamber became Sports Editor in the spring of 2009 and led coverage of the Notre Dame football coaching change, producing special editions on both the firing of former Irish coach Charlie Weis and the hiring of Brian Kelly as his replacement.

"Matt has gone above and beyond expectations this year as Sports Editor, specifically in football coverage and multimedia Web extras," outgoing Editor-in-Chief Jenn Metz said. "I have full confidence he will be a great leader and continue to help the paper improve over the next year."

Gamber said he is confident he can build on The Observer's "strong foundation and tradition" in working with the rest of the Editorial Board during his tenure.

"I am excited to take on the added responsibilities this position entails," he said.
Gamber will take over as Editor-in-Chief on March 1.