Saint Mary's celebrates women's appreciation

Saint Mary's College will show its appreciation for women and raise awareness to some of the problems they face through the annual Women's Appreciation Week.
Saint Mary's College Student Diversity Board (SDB) sponsors the week, which began Monday and will run through Friday.
Women's Appreciation Week is being held to "celebrate and empower women on our campus," Sarah Ridley, a senior and one SDB's women's issues representatives, said.
Senior Gretchen Moore is also one of SDB's women's issues representatives.
The opening event for the week was a booth in the Student Center Atrium where members of SDB handed out free buttons in honor of women. Buttons were passed out from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and again from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Ridley said the events have been planned to help alert students about matters concerning women.
"Student Diversity Board hopes to educate and raise awareness on women's issues locally and globally," Ridley said.
SDB has planned a panel discussion for Tuesday titled "What it Means to be a Feminist." The panel will consist of Bettina Spencer, Alice Siqin Yang, Stacy Davis and Terri Russ, who will give their perspective on feminism. The discussion will be at 7 p.m. in Conference Room F of the Student Center Basement.
Wednesday, SDB will host an informational session about the Women's Studies Program at the College featuring program coordinator Jennifer Zachman. Zachman will discuss Women's Studies majors and minors during the session, which will be in Conference Room F in the Student Center Basement at 7 p.m. Current Women Studies students will also be present to speak with students about the program, Ridley said.
Thursday, SDB will be hold an open breakfast in the Women's Resource Center from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Ridley said she believes the week is important because it allows women to be appreciated.
"[The week is important because it] takes time for recognition and appreciation towards the accomplishments and progressive movement women have made, and are still making today," Ridley said. "Also, [it is important] to celebrate being a student at an empowering, all women's college."