SMC Basketball: Belles close season with trip to Albion

Saint Mary's concludes its regular season in an important conference battle at Albion Saturday.

The game could have a major impact upon the seeding of the MIAA tournament. Currently, the Belles sit alone in third place in the conference. However, with a loss, Saint Mary's would enter into a tie for third with Adrian.

"A lot is at stake," Belles coach Jennifer Henley said. "Every single game matters."

Despite a losing record, Albion will come out tough against Saint Mary's as they battle for fifth place in the conference.

Briton juniors Melissa Shaw and Keigan Edwards lead the team in average points per game with 14.1 and 9.7, respectively. To be able to combat the Albion guards, the Belles will have to put forth a top defensive effort.

"They have very good guard play," Henley said. "They have great outside shooters and defense will be huge."

Defense is certainly going to be key. The Belles carry defensive momentum after a solid defensive performance in their previous game against Albion. The Belles allowed only 59 points and won by a 20-point margin against Olivet Wednesday.

Albion is a dangerous team, poised for an upset of the Belles who are riding high on a great victory in their final home game of the regular season. Their record does not speak of the damage that they could inflict upon the Belles. Albion holds a five-game winning streak over the Belles. Saint Mary's has not defeated the Brits since Valentine's Day of 2007.

"Albion has been a team that has always gotten us," Henley said. "We need to go in there and prove something to ourselves."

Saint Mary's hopes to do just that as they travel to Albion for tip-off at 3 p.m. Saturday.