Student government releases benefit CD

Student government recently released "Head Above Water," a CD containing original music by Notre Dame students whose profits will benefit for the Global Water Initiative, 

The CD is being sold for $6 at the LaFortune Information Desk and online at the Student Shop ND until April 1. The proceeds will go to the non-profit organization The Water Project via the Global Water Initiative. 

"We've had a tremendously positive response to the CD. We've sold at least 100 CDs, and hope to sell more as it's a long-term project," junior Rachel Roseberry, co-director of the Global Water Initiative, said. "We want to sustain the cause and support the musicians right up until April 1." 

Justin Pham, sophomore and co-director of the Global Water Initiative, said the CD was meant to have a unifying effect among Notre Dame students.

"The mission of our water initiative has been to unite different parts of the Notre Dame community to walk in the same steps as one another and support people without access to potable water," Pham said.

Sophomore Brian Powers, whose song "One Too Many Things" is featured on the CD, said he participated in the project to help a good cause.

"Music is such a huge part of my life and I love that something I put so much effort into can help someone else," Powers said.

He added, "I like that this gets exposure for the musical scene at Notre Dame, which can be kind of limited. The benefits are twofold."

Nicholas Gunty, a sophomore whose song "Winking Prose" is featured on the CD, also said he contributed to support the cause.

"I wanted to contribute my talents to something that I thought was a noble cause," Gunty said. "Everyone should buy the CD. It's a worthwhile cause to give your money to regardless, and there are definitely some gems on the CD."

Roseberry said, "This is a unique opportunity for Notre Dame students to support both their fellow students and a cause larger than the Notre Dame community."