Tuition to top $50K in total next year

Notre Dame has increased tuition by 3.8 percent for the 2010-11 academic year — totaling $50,785 when including room and board — marking the lowest percentage increase since 1960, according to a University press release.

The tuition is set at $39,919. Room and board will average $10,866 for the year.

The University raised tuition by 4.4 percent for the 2009-10 academic year, yielding a cost of $38,477. Room and board was about $10,368, totaling $48,845.

In a letter to parents of students returning next year, University President Fr. John Jenkins wrote that the University is aware of the financial burden of paying tuition and the struggling economy and its effect on Notre Dame families.

"[Notre Dame] employs a fiscally conservative approach to investments and spending to make the best use of all our resources," he said in the letter.

Jenkins said the administration has been working to limit spending and cut costs in order to keep the tuition increase as low as possible.

As a Notre Dame education is an investment for families and students, Jenkins wrote that the University will "strive to match the enormous amount of time, talent and energy" that students and parents give to the educational experience.

Jenkins said the University's financial aid program remains a priority.

In light of this year's economic downturn, University scholarship assistance in 2010-11 will increase by 18 percent to $98 million.

Notre Dame admissions remain "need blind," meaning applicants are admitted without consideration for the ability to pay full tuition. 

In the letter to parents, Jenkins said 95 percent of Notre Dame students graduate on time.
"[Notre Dame] strives to develop the heart and the mind … instill values and knowledge … and inspire a lifelong mission as well as the capability to pursue it," he said.

Graduate and professional school tuition also will increase by 3.8 percent, bringing total tuition to $39,310 for the Graduate School and $40,340 for both the Law School and the Master of Business Administration Program.