Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Weekend Events Calendar

Thursday: Aspen Santa Fe Ballet @ DPAC, 7 p.m.
The Aspen Santa Fe Ballet is an acclaimed dance group with studios in both Aspen, Colo. and Santa Fe, N.M. Formed in 1996, its goal is to attract top composers and dancers to create a pleasing combination of entertainment and modern dance. Traveling across the country, the Aspen Santa Fe Ballet offers a program full energy and excitement and is very accessible to all audiences. They are said to make use of their dancers in inventive ways, widening the range of ballet and modern dance. The Aspen Santa Fe Ballet will be performing Thursday and Friday evenings at 7 p.m. as well as Saturday at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

Friday: Wiz Khalifa @ Legends, 10 p.m.
An America rapper based in Pittsburgh, Penn., Wiz Khalifa broke onto the music scene in 2006 when he was declared an "artist to watch" by Rolling Stone. In 2007 he signed with Warner Brothers Records and released his techno-influenced single "Say Hey" which topped out at 25 on the Rhythmic Top 40. In 2009 he split from Warner Brothers and released his second album, "Deal or No Deal." Working as an independent artist, Khalifa has focused his attention on Internet marketing. "Deal or No Deal" reached No. 2 on iTunes's hip-hop chart. As always, the show is free at Legends to all Notre Dame, Saint Mary's and Holy Cross students.

Saturday: Bill O'Connell's Chicago Skyliners @ Legends, 10 p.m.
Playing music from the Big Band Era, Bill O'Connell's Chicago Skyliners will perform at Legends this Saturday evening. The band formed in 1988 intent on continuing the long tradition of big band and jazz music in a new age. With a repertoire of old classics as well as pieces by contemporary artists, the Chicago Skyliners blend the old and with the new in high energy performances. Be prepared for impressive improvisation and a feeling of nostalgia for the golden age of jazz. And if two hours of danceable jazz music isn't enough, plan to stay after the concert for the Swing Nightclub.

Sunday: ‘21 Grams' @ DPAC, 3 p.m.
"21 Grams" tells the compelling story of three strangers who are brought together in the aftermath of a terrible accident. Paul Rivers (Sean Penn), a college professor, is waiting for a heart transplant while dealing with his loveless marriage to wife Mary (Charlotte Gainsbourg). Christina Peck (Naomi Watts) is a loving wife and mother to two little girls. Ex-con Jack Jordan (Benicio Del Toro) has found religion and is working to straighten out his life. All three characters and their families are forced to come to terms with the truths of their own lives as a result of tragic car crash.