Zip Into Spring... March with Marchesa

Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fashion magazines are so delightful! Since we've no place to go, open them up and get the spring style down low! Spring is right around the corner … or maybe the block, but regardless, it's time to start planning because as my roommate likes to say, "prior preparation prevents poor performance," and there is no room for error this season! 
Four essentials are a must for stocking your closet this spring: flowers, zippers, trenches and wedges. These items are key for the ladies who want to blossom like those gorgeous tulips lining the Grotto in April.  
This year, floral doesn't necessarily have to mean literal flower details. Marchesa shows this best with her blooming textured tops and gowns, which bring the princess version of every woman's grungy Cinderella to light with every twist and turn of fabric. Marchesa's tucks and folds of silk and wool in deep hues will have you panting for the spring rains if they mean that sunshine and Marchesa's designs are on their way. 
Floral accents in and of themselves will also brighten any outfit. Try extravagant headbands, necklaces or full patterns on sweeping dresses for a soft feminine look. When going for a floral look on a full-length dress, stick to pastels and save the bright jewel tones for a solid peace to avoid being too over-the-top. Forever 21 is stocked with pieces in each genre to bring this vision to life. 
The fall gave birth to the zipper, winter saw its teen years and come spring, the zipper will finally reach adulthood. It's a fantastic statement maker, especially when strategically placed, and will give an edge to even the softest of outfits. For a touch of irony, pair a motorcycle jacket with a floral blouse, skinny jeans and heels and watch men become even more confused and entranced by the creature that is woman.  
Zippers don't just have to stay on clothes. Heels, rings and even sunglasses — check out Alexander Wang for Linda Farrow Zipper Sunglasses — will feature these details in spring 2010 so make sure you're on your game when you hit the streets. 
Bright colored trench coats screamed spring last year, but this year it's all about muted tones in nudes, blacks and whites.  These jackets will look great with a classy pair of rain boots, so make sure to invest in one for both practical and fashionable reasons. Once the snow melts and the ladies emerge from their cave-like dorms this year, expect to see campus awash with Audrey Hepburn look-a-likes.  
No matter which way you slice it, wedges are in this spring. The staple, chunky espadrilles, will be parading down South Quad once the sun comes out, but they won't be marching alone. Expect to see new additions of saddle leather and black suede to the mix for an exceptionally bold taste of the wide variety soon to adorn female feet.  
For the in-between stage of winter and spring, feel free to match a pair of chunky neutral-tone socks with thick-heeled sandals. InStyle suggests sticking to thin fabrics with dainty patterns to avoid overdoing the look. 
Brighten those obnoxiously gray skies hanging over campus by exploring the upcoming trends. There's only 17 days left until Spring Break (but who's counting) so utilize your shopping time wisely. Treat yourself to a little ring this spring and you won't regret it!