Bookstore Basketball: Knights of Columbus dominate

The highly anticipated matchup of the Knights of Columbus vs. Charlie and the Loaners quickly turned into a blowout as the Knights of Columbus took control of the game from the outset.

The Knights of Columbus consisted of freshman Bobby Thompson, junior Michael Bohnert, law student Lee Metzger, sophomore Sean Mullen and freshman Matt Jackson. Charlie and the Loaners started staffers Gene Pilawski, Charlie Castline, Alexis Wolf, Kallie Kubacki and Leah Jasinski.

The game began slowly as both teams struggled to score on their first few possessions.  Fighting the cold and windy conditions, the teams struggled to keep control of the ball and the offense was stagnant.

Thompson scored the game's first points with a hard drive and lay-in to give the Knights of Columbus the lead.  However, again both teams missed opportunities, with the Knights missing a few lay-ups on fast breaks.

The Knights of Columbus began to take control of the game as it went on, scoring on high percentage shots to jump out to a big lead. A block by Mullen led to a pretty feed to big man Lee "Odd Man" Marsh to give the Knights a 11-0 halftime lead.

The Knights' defense was relentless as they blocked several shots in the paint and gave guards Kubacki and Pilawski no room to operate. Pilawski eventually broke the shutout with a driving layup in the lane to make it 14-1.

The Knights cruised the rest of the way to claim an easy victory, moving onto the second round.